This building known today as Kirkhaven started life as Sydney Place United Presbyterian Church and latterly became Trinity Duke Street Church. The architectural firm Peddie & Kinnear of Edinburgh produced the competition-winning design for the church which was built in 1857-8 and it was described as “one of the most handsome and comfortable in the city”. It is a Category A listed building of Neo-Greek design with a large, impressive entrance portico with carved frieze and pediment.
After several congregational mergers and changes, the church finally closed its doors in 1975. For a time the building was used as a hostel for homeless men under the name of Kirkhaven until a serious fire in 1996 rendered the building redundant.
The Trust acquired the building in 1998 and undertook high-quality conservation repairs to the exterior of the building, a new contemporary bay window extension, internal repairs and restoration of decorative plaster ceiling and the insertion of innovative modern interior spaces. The restoration of the former church building included physically linking it to the adjacent former Wellpark School to create the Wellpark Kirkhaven Enterprise Centre.
Architect: Elder and Cannon
Cost Consultant: Mackay Entwistle & Ford
Structural Engineer: R A Sykes
Services Engineer: Buro Happold
CDM Coordinator: AMS Ltd
Lilley Construction Ltd
Total Project Cost – £2,007,717
European Regional Development Fund, Historic Scotland, Heritage Lottery Fund, Glasgow City Council, GCC Landfill Tax Credit Scheme, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow and the Architectural Heritage Fund.